30 Days Wild Day 18 and 19: Following a worm and some sunny fun

This weekend was an eventful one! Day 18 was a garden day, lots of planting and tidying.  While clearing some old cardboard (used as a den in the garden Day 10) E and M found a HUGE worm (approx. 20cm long!) which … Continue reading

Lethargic Lily

A fortnight ago I returned from a lovely family holiday in Cornwall to find a dirty bottomed lethargic Lily, her wings spread out hanging down by her side and when she stood still her head would begin to fall towards the floor, her eyes closed.  My neighbour who had been taking care of her reported egg shells so soft that they broke when you picked them up.  Lily was still eating and drinking so I felt time was still on our side.  Having experienced enough chicken ailments in the last seven years to write an encyclopaedia I worked my way through the possibilities ruling them out on by one.  After much deliberation and a little googling I narrowed it down to a few possibilities, egg peritonitis, infection, worms or a combination.  I started my lovely lady on a course of antibiotics and ordered in worming powder called Flubenvet.  Previously our ladies had been prescribed Panacur to prevent and treat worms but recently I discovered it is used for treating cats and dogs and so we had to dispose of eggs as it is not considered safe to eat the eggs produced for a period of time following treatment.  Flubenvet while a little complicated to mix for a small number of chickens (you treat the whole flock) is made specifically for domesticated birds and does not require any egg withdrawal period.  After four days of antibiotics Lily showed no improvement so worms were beginning to look like the culprit.  Three days into the seven day worming period and Lily began to look a little livelier.

Lively again!

Lively again!

Lily has now recovered however a lesson has been learnt that I wish to share… Our chickens are wormed regularly; Lily had not been treated long before she became ill.   Apparently if they have worms you must repeat the course three weeks later instead of the three months recommended as a preventative measure as the ground will be infected and reinfection is likely.  I will not be making this mistake again…